The Many Applications of AI patents
Artificial intelligence (AI) has become a popular topic in the tech industry. This technology has great potential for the creation of more innovative inventions and is utilized as a source of commercial and/or political power. With all the potential it has and the expectation that AI patent is receiving, who owns the most Artificial intelligence patents, and what type of technologies are being applied to the most?
A report by Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton LLP highlights the Artificial Intelligence patent trends in technologies.
AI patents can be applied to a diverse spectrum of technologies and businesses
Popular AI patents filing areas are:
- Pattern Recognition — the automatic recognition of regularities in data;
- Predictive Analysis — analyzing historical data to make predictions about future events;
- Neural Networks — computing systems inspired by the biological brain that can learn.
The top three AI patent filers are IBM, Microsoft, and Google
IBM dominates by providing business solutions with its platform Watson, while startups like Magic Leap and CognitiveScale are showing their strengths in VR and financial services.
A report by GreyB has indicated three characteristics of AI patent trends
- There is an increasing percentage of foreign applications;
- Some innovations have encountered Alice rejections;
- AI-related innovations have a higher possibility of being allowed than similar innovations in the Fintech realm due to the different nature of examination methods.
Discover more in the infographic below and read the full report here.