Autonomous cars: what’s under the hood?
Automous cars is thought to be a high-potential industry and LiDAR is most likely a key to this technology.
What is LiDAR technology?
LiDAR (Light Detection and Ranging) is a technology that provides mapping, object detection and identification, and navigation and it is widely leveraged in high-performance sensing for ADAS (Advanced Driver-Assistance Systems) such as those utilized by Tesla.
- LiDAR sensors are used in conjunction with cameras to identify road users, signs and traffic lights and radars to estimate distance range.
- They are crucial in road scanning to assess the surroundings with precise and real-time 3D digitization.
- Over the past couple of years, the technology has transitioned from mechanical spinning systems to solid-state LiDAR solutions.
Solid-state LiDAR solutions: Has been claimed as one of the most promising LiDAR systems according to IAM Media. It contains no moving or vibrating parts, which enables better performance, reliability, power and cost efficiency.
Let’s discover more about the patent aspect of LiDAR technology with the help of Patentcloud.
- Major US developers and investees of Solid-state LiDAR technology and their patents.
- Major inventors of Solid-state LiDAR technology.
- Solid-state LiDAR technology patent application trends.
- The legal status of the Solid-state LiDAR technology patents.
Download the full set of infographics in PDF format: